Monday, June 11, 2018 at 10:00 A.M. CST
Sale to be held at Sullivan Auction Site, 1066 E. US Hwy 136, Hamilton, IL
Click Live Streaming link below to view this auction!
CLICK BELOW TO FLIP THROUGH AUCTION CATALOG:
Join us for this outstanding auction featuring personal items from the life and career of John Mahoney (June 22, 1940 – February 4, 2018)
Sullivan Auctioneers are proud and excited to invite you to John Mahoney’s estate auction!
John was a well known and a popular actor who played Martin Crane on the TV show “Frasier” for 11 years! He was our uncle and brother to our mom, Rita Sullivan.
Uncle John received two Emmy nominations and two Golden Globe nominations for his role of Martin Crane, the father of Frasier & Niles Crane. He had prominent roles in many major films including “Moonstruck”, “Eight Men Out”, “Suspect”, “The American President” and others. John always held a special place in the heart of Steppenwolf Theatre. He won many awards, including Broadway’s Tony Award for Best Featured Actor in John Guare’s “The House of Blue Leaves”. In addition, he won the Clarence Derwent Award and the Theatre World Award.
This will be a sit-down style auction in our climate controlled auction house.
An Open House will take place on Sunday, June 10th from 12:00 noon to 5:00 p.m. to preview the items.
Hotels and fine eating establishments are available nearby in Keokuk, Iowa.
Hotel accommodations include:
Quality Inn & Suites (319) 524-9000
Hampton Inn (319) 524-6700
Baymont by Wyndham (319) 524-8000
Live internet bidding will be available on select items. Online catalog will appear soon!
Not responsible for accidents, errors or omissions.
Announcements sale day take precedence.
Memorabilia from the television show “Frasier”
- RARE Chihuly signed orange and green blown-glass vase. A Chihuly vase was a fixture on the “Frasier” set. To celebrate the 100th episode of the show, artist Dale Chihuly gave Mr. Mahoney this vase.
- (11) Original Paramount “Frasier” scripts dated March 22, 2004 for the final May 13, 2004, Season 11 show entitled, “Goodnight, Seattle.” The majority are autographed and accompanied with a handwritten note to John from Xochitl L. Olivas, who was an assistant to the producer of Frasier.
- Original Paramount “Frasier” script dated March 20, 2000 with an air date of May 18, Season 7 show. Inscription to John and autographed by Christopher Lloyd and Joe Keenan.
- Paramount script covers, beginning with the first episode “The Good Son” through the last show “Goodnight, Seattle.”
- RARE Hardback Paramount Season 1, Episode 1, Frasier script book entitled, “The Good Son,” dated April 29, 1993 and aired September 16. Inscripted to John and autographed by Peri Gilpin who played Roz on the show.
- Nice selection of original photographs from the set, majority nicely matted and framed.
- 15”x 18” Caricature drawing of main actors and actresses from the show. Autographed and numbered by artist, Al Hirschfeld.
- “The Hollywood Reporter” magazine dated May 13, 2014 with Frasier crew on the front page.
- “Daily Variety” magazine dated May 13, 2004 with the Frasier Crew on the front page.
- Other various items from the show.
Awards, Artwork and Memorabilia from other television shows, movies and plays
- 2012 “Lookingglass Spirit Award” presented by the Chicago Theatre Community.
- 1997 “Chicago Film Critics Award” with glass design of the city.
- 2001 “Tony Award Winning Actor” presented by the Irish Wall of Fame, Newport Beach, CA.
- 1986 “The Clarence Derwent Award” glass paperweight.
- 1985 Theater World Award for “Outstanding New Talent” hand-sculpted iron theatre mask (approx. 7” tall)
- 2004 “Distinguished Service Award” recognizing his outstanding contribution to the arts, presented by Lawyers for the Creative Arts.
- TV Guide featuring John, David Hyde Pierce, Kelsey Grammer, and the dog Eddie.
- Framed poster of the “The Drawer Boy” signed by Louis Cancelmi and Paul Vincent O’Connor.
- 2005 photograph of the play “The Drawer Boy” featuring the entire cast.
- 2014 “The St. Augustine Award” for the John Mahoney Foundation, with gratitude Alexian Brothers Foundation
- Large 72” x 54” painting on canvas of a gentleman in a “thinking position.”
- Framed movie poster entitled “Connemara by Paul Henry, Ireland This Year.”
- French “Un Livre” colorful 35”x 50” framed poster depicting a hardback book.
- Lac D’Annecy travel poster, view of water, boats and mountains.
- 25” x 36” oil painting resembling John Mahoney, in gilded frame.
- Plus numerous other pieces of memorabilia featuring John!
Mission Style and Contemporary Furniture
- Stickley oak gentleman’s wardrobe, double side-by-side doors, 9 pigeon holes above and 5 drawers below. Beautiful piece of modern Stickley!
- Stickley oak armchair. Also another nice, modern piece of Stickley with stamp and label!
- Stickley mahogany sofa table, 30” tall x 16” deep x 54” long, stamped Stickley.
- Stickley mahogany single-drawer stand table with 45-degree angle corners with inlays stamped and tagged, 27” tall x 17” deep x 24” long. Another nice, modern piece of Stickley furniture.
- Oak mission style cabinet with glass door & 3 small leaded glass sections at the top, very nice, small cabinet with a lot of eye appeal (58” tall x 28 ½ wide x 13” deep), not marked, but believed to also be a modern piece of Stickley furniture.
- Hall tree with shaped mirror, coat/hat hooks and 2 solid doors below, 75” tall and purchased at Pottery Barn.
- Large high-boy chest with 4 side-by-side drawers above and 3 full-sized drawers below, 55” tall, purchased at Pottery Barn.
- Couples dresser with matching 3 drawers on each side and accompanied by a matching nightstand, purchased at Pottery Barn.
- (Double-wall corner) Office desk with (2) 2-drawer file cabinets used to support the table, color white and yet another known piece purchased at Pottery Barn.
- Contemporary low-profile entertainment center, made to accompany a flatscreen TV, dovetailed corners, mission style motif, only 24” tall x 24” deep x 69.5” long and matching, in-between recliners, couples end table.
- Coffee table with slat bottom section, mfg. by Maria Yie.
- Coffee table 16” tall x 29.5” deep x 46” long, mfg. by Maria Yie.
- Walter of Wabash 45” diameter table with (2) 20” leaves and 4 matching chairs with leather seats and backs.
- Contemporary art-deco 42” diameter table with chrome pedestal and (2) chairs with red leather seats and back.
- Handcrafted 4 drawer hors d’oeuvre table with folding flip-top.
- Modern day buffet with 2 doors opposite of 3 drawers, 38” tall x 18.5” deep x 56” long.
- (2) matching leather swivel armchairs with ottoman, light tan color and imported from Norway.
- Single-drawer, drop-leaf, stand table.
- Williams Sonoma smaller flatscreen TV stand, 24” tall x 18” deep x 36” long.
- Ultra Comfort Max 6 lift chair with massage and remote control capability, nice natural tan color!
- (2) Contemporary chairs with open backs, color white.
- Fireside armchair, coppertone color.
- Stakmore premium folding wood table, 32” square top, complete with matching folding chairs, new!
- (2) Queensize beds, mfg. by Sterns & Foster.
- Small 15-drawer tiered cabinet.
- (2) Upholstered single and double cushioned loveseats.
- Mitchell Gold corner sofa, color white.
- Several nice area rugs, including 8’ x 34” Stickley.
- (2) Factory repurposed tri-pod adjustable lamps.
- Several ambience style table and floor lamps in various sizes, shapes, and styles.
- 4-paneled black & white drawing entitled, “Charlesville Castle Stables,” Ireland, by freelance artist A. Richard Anderson.
- Various other pieces of modern furnishings to include: televisions, TV trays, radios, DVD players, window AC units, and more!
Collectibles, Music & Movie Collections, Glassware and More!
- RARE Tiffany & Co. sterling silver dresser box, 8” long x 3.5” deep x 2” tall
- Belleek Ireland mug, stamped “Himself”
- Wedgwood vase with embossed Greek images
- Moser glass decanter with two matching cocktail glasses
- Handled glass carafe with plated top
- “150 years Quincy University” glass paperweight
- Van Cort telescoping instrument with stand
- Several hundred 33 RPM albums, several rare and highly sought after, majority from the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s
- Several hundred CD’s, DVD’s, and VCR’s
- 9-piece Calphalon cookware set, one of the lids signed by John Mahoney
- 13-piece Zwilling cutlery set in wooden holder
- Coach leather Lexington briefcase bag with original hang tag
There will be a large quantity of books…the following is just a few of the highlights.
- Steppenwolf books such as “Steppenwolf 25” with 2 pages of signatures including John’s; Steppenwolf “Sandro: Raw: Steppenwolf” with letter talking about John Mahoney
- “Finnegans Wake,” by James Joyce, 1939, signed limited edition, copy #107 – accompanied with letter
- Historic Photos of Chicago, signed by John
- “Theater in America”
- “Heart Matters” by artist Xenia Hausner (with personal invitation to John to gallery exhibition in Los Angeles)
- Leonardo da Vinci “Complete Paintings and Drawings” by Frank Zollner
- “The Artist in His Studio” by Alexander Liberman
- “From The Desk Of” by Hal Drucker and Sid Lerner, personalized signature to John from Hal dated June 25, 1991
- “The Complete Lyrics of Frank Loesser”
- “The Old Man and The Sea” by Ernest Hemingway Copyright 1952
- “To Have and Have Not” by Ernest Hemingway, Copyright 1937
- Many other neat & interesting books!
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND PHOTOS WILL BE ADDED AS AUCTION IS BEING SET-UP…PLEASE CHECK BACK OFTEN.